For those of you not already on The Occasional Traveller Mailing List, here’s a slightly lengthy reason on why you should change your mind now and sign up, because this new mailing format is going to help you do what you love best – travel. This is a bit longer than usual, just bear with me a little longer…
It’s been awhile since I’ve sent out a TOTmail to my dear readers, and for those of you still hanging in there and supporting The Occasional Traveller, thank you for all your support, the site wouldn’t be where it is today without all of you.
In the past, TOTmail has always been updates about the site and what’s new in the shop, but beyond that I’ve been thinking, what do my readers really want to read about? How can this occasional newsletter be of use to them beyond just information and news about TOT?
I’ve come to realize that The Occasional Traveller needs to remember its original purpose – to inspire other occasional travellers like myself out there to remember to travel more often on whatever available time we have. That’s what the entire site is built around; little inspirations from real people who manage to work full time yet indulge their travel love.
So here’s what I want to do: the one way I’ve found what really encourages people to travel is travel research, seeing pictures of where people are going and what they did, that really gets me wanderlusting. But there is so, so much information out there, it can be a bit daunting to figure out where to start.
The new TOTmail is going to help you with all this – I plan to:
- Pick out a country that you want to travel to (with your input of course)
- Research the hell out of that country. I’m gonna find links from other travel sites and blogs, important information from the forums, and maybe even have you send in your research as well
- Put it all together for you in a concise email newsletter and send it your way. I’m estimating one every 2-3 months for now
- For all you know, that research might inspire me to head there myself, and you’ll see my travel accounts after the fact! Or if you end up heading there, I want to hear about it too.
Think about this email as that nudge you need to start planning your next trip. While I am no expert travel planning agency, I’ve done a ton of research for my past trips (because I can be a bit anxious like that), and it seems like such a waste not to share it with all of you.
I’m looking to have the first new TOTmail get sent out in April 2013, a little way before the summer holidays so you can start planning now.
The first country I’m going to tackle is PRAGUE. This country has been on my bucket list for a long time, and the extra incentive for me is that I’m going to be travelling there later in the year, so I can definitely report back on my research, but I want you guys to tell me where I should be researching next.
Here’s where I need YOUR help, just click the reply button and:
- If you’ve been to/plan to go Prague, throw me some links that you used, whether it’s blog posts or useful info sites
- Tell me what country/cities you’re interested in knowing more about, so I know what to line up for the future
- Tell your friends! Get those you think need a holiday reminder to sign up for this mailing list
- And of course, let me know what you think! Suggestions, comments, brickbats… all are welcome, but politely and civilly of course =)
Inspired? Sign up below, and share this link http://eepurl.com/vSpL5 with your friends.